Thursday, October 8, 2009

If it ain't broke...


Nothing like being reminded of this old saying the hard way ;) The first time I made this dress, I was trying to implement a new kimono style wrap top that I had on the back burner of my mind. After fussing with the pattern for a few days and finishing the prototype, I was disappointed with the results. The top didn't lay right and it was a little more boring than I expected. Frustrated, I left the dress hanging in my craft room for weeks, figuring it would grow on me and I'd eventually love it.... that day never came. I love the prints on the dress and I didn't want it to be a complete waste so I tore it apart and remade the top into the 'old' knot style. I didn't have enough of the original fabric to make the top... which turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I was forced to dig through my stash and found this fun striped print left over from a previous project! Even if the lining won't be visible when the dress is worn, I think it is a fun accent! Lots of lessons learned on this one...


This dress, along with a couple of my other favorite pieces will be on display this weekend at the Applebutter festival in Grand Rapids, OH! I'm super excited to have been asked by Kelly, owner of Ellie's Essentials, to borrow a couple pieces so she could demonstrate her made to match bows! Check out Ellie's Essentials on etsy: www.elliesessentials.etsy.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it! It's always nice to try something new, but I am definitely a fan of the old standby too. Good work!

Amanda and Chris said...

Super cute!!